Technology has little by little pushed many companies in different markets out of business. The internet and the now easy access to it through mobile devices have revolutionized the world as we knew it. There are many examples of this phenomena. A few years ago people had to walk into video stores like Blockbuster to rent movies and watch on their home. In 2019 the last Blockbuster closed its doors in Australia. The competition for the huge chain of video stores was technology. People now can watch movies on online applications even from mobile devices. During the past decade the gambling industry has also been changing. There are now thousands of online casinos that are competing with traditional in person casinos. Now is time to see if the traditional casinos can compete against technology.
Gambling Industry in Australia.
Australians are very attracted to the gambling industry. Data from previous years showed that about 80% of adults participated in some form of gambling. On average Aussie adults spent $1292 in gambling. Australians are attracted to different types of gambling like:
- Sports betting
- Casino Gaming
- Horse Racing
- Dog Racing
Since gambling is legal in Australia it is an all around business. People get their entertainment, casinos are a profitable business and the state gets their share of taxes. Billions of dollars are injected to the Australian economy from the casino industry.
Since Australians are big about gambling it is no surprise that there are several casinos across the country. There are about 59 casinos in Australia. They are in the number 18 of countries with the most casinos.
- Traditional casinos offer the original casino experience. Some players like to sit on the poker table and have the cards on their hands. We can say that is an experience that can’t be offered by an online casino.
- Moreover, full scale casinos have hotels, pools, concert halls where players can also attend other events besides gambling.
- Last but not least, many casinos offer their players free drinks while they are gambling.
Australia is a big country. Even though we say it is a country it is technically it’s own continent. Just to have a broader image, Australia is about the same size than the USA’s mainland (not counting Alaska and Hawaii). The USA has 2153 casinos along its territory. The state of Nevada (home of the most famous gambling place in the world, Las Vegas) has 360 casinos. Therefore, with only 59 casinos, Australian’s casinos might not be easy for all the players to reach.
Online casinos have been on the rise for the past years. There are thousands of online casinos available. The amount of casinos is there because of the amount of players who demand the product. In contrast to traditional casinos, online casinos can be played anywhere at any time (anywhere you can get internet reception of course).
- Pokies are one of the favorite categories for Aussies. Even at a traditional casino players are still sitting in front of a computer. Therefore, we can say that an online casino can offer pretty much the same experience.
- The power of choice is on the side of online casinos. While Australia has 59 casinos on its territory, and most players have to pick from whichever is closer to them, there are thousands of online casinos to choose from.
- Security is also a main benefit of playing in online casinos. While in past years online casinos were not secure in terms of paying out players and having rigged games, today those issues are fully resolved. Online casinos are regulated and you can guarantee that most cities will pay whatever amount you win.
- The financial aspect is also very important. There are a lot of cheap games that can be found on online casinos. Online casinos have poker games for as little as 10 cents. When you sit at a poker table in a casino the entry is usually above $5.
- The mobile availability of online casinos has given them a great boost. Online casinos take advantage of technology and have adapted their websites to be compatible with most mobile devices like tablets and smartphones. Moreover, many online casinos also have created their own mobile applications which can sometimes be easier for players to use.
- Comfort is probably the main card of online casinos. Players can enjoy any game of their preference from any spot. Anyone can play from the commodity of their couch. There is no need to drive anywhere. You also don’t need to be walking around inside a huge casino searching for your favorite pokie or waiting for your favorite pokie to become available. Your favorite game will be available whenever you want.
Perhaps some games offer a better experience in person.
You will have to get up from the couch to get your drinks.
There are still people who are afraid of technology and don’t feel comfortable submitting their information to online pages.
There is no doubt that Australians love to gamble. so the market for both traditional and online casinos is there. Questions are whether they can co-exist or will one take the other out of business. While many players prefer to have the traditional casino experience others prefer the easy access of online casinos. Online casinos are taking full advantage of the technological advances. They offer their games on mobile devices which means players can now play anywhere and at any time they want. There is no need to drive to a casino, search for your favorite game and hope nobody is sitting in the chair already. Perhaps it is in the advantage of traditional casinos that many might have the dream of hitting the jackpot on a pokie and having to pick up the quarters from the floor.
If you want to try some online casinos you can find some good ones here on our page. Feel free to try them up.